Step-by-step drawing of Jimin from BTS !

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to draw Jimin. Stay tuned for a comparison from my drawing of him from 5 years ago compared to now.

Step 1:

First of all you have to choose a photo which you would like to use as a reference image for your drawing. It is always useful to have a photo to guide you in your drawing process, so make sure you have a copy of the photo on your phone, tablet, PC, or as a print. I chose this photo of Jimin as my reference image.

reference image
Reference Image
Step 2:

Sketch out an outline of the drawing. If you find it difficult to get the measurements and positioning of the features correctly, I would recommend that you trace the image to ensure that you position all the facial features in their correct place. I used to do this when I first started drawing and it has helped me out a lot. As you can see from my outline below, I have left out the hand, and this is because I am not comfortable with drawing hands yet, so if you want to change anything about the photo to make it easier for yourself then go for it.

outline of drawing


Step 3:

Once you have a final outline of your drawing, decide which medium you want to use (e.g. colouring pencils, watercolour or acrylic paints etc.). I chose to use oil based colouring pencils and watercolour paints for this drawing. 

Now you can finally make a start! I usually start with the face, and in particular the eyes. I find it useful to do the details first before moving on to the skin and hair. When choosing your colours always refer to your reference image to guide you, then you can start with the eye colour and the pupil, then add more details and some shading using skin tone colours.


Step 4:

After colouring in the eyes, I like to move on to the nose and lips. It is important to take your time when colouring in the facial features, because I have made the mistake in the past of rushing a drawing and not achieving the results I want, so always take your time.


As you can see, some colour was added to the nose and lips and skin tone shades were used around the eyes to give a better idea of which shade will be used for the rest of the skin later.

Step 5:

Once you have finished colouring in the main features and are happy with how they look, you can move on to whatever you feel most comfortable doing next. I chose to colour in the hair next and then the skin.


When colouring in hair, it is important to take your time adding layers of colour and using different shades to create contrasts and highlights. As for the skin, always refer to your reference image to make sure that you are using similar 
Next, to save some time, you can use watercolours to paint in the background and the base colour of the shirt. Make sure to wait until the paint is 100% dry before using colour pencils on top. 

Step 7:

Finally, once you have the base colours done, draw the details on the shirt using coloured pencils and outline any details using a fine liner. To add some more details and highlights, you can use a white gel pen or a white paint pen like a uni posca pen. 


To make the background colour more vibrant, 
I went over it with colouring pencils in some areas. To finish it off, I made some colours darker than the original reference photo, such as the cap and the shirt. This depends on your style or how you want your drawing to look like. 

Completed drawing

The picture above is my completed drawing of Jimin and below is a comparison of my drawing of him 5 years ago vs now. I hope you agree that there is an improvement and all I can say is practise will make you improve and I will continue to practise in order to improve my drawing skills in the future. I hope you look forward to
 future blogs which will offer you tips and tricks to help you with your art which I also found useful as a beginner and have helped me out a lot.

2015 drawing vs 2020 drawing

Hope you all liked this tutorial. Let me know what you think of it down below. Check out this post on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8fEmCph4Iq/
 
Also, keep in mind that I am also a beginner and I am in no way a professional so this is just the way that I draw and the steps that I find easiest for me and it may not be the same for everyone. Nevertheless, hope it helps you out and feel free to ask me any questions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use colored pencils !

ABOUT ME